Director of Clubhouse and High School Programs
The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Peninsula (BGCP) is a vibrant, entrepreneurial nonprofit in the heart of Silicon Valley that is committed to helping the at-risk youth of our community graduate from high school ready for college and career.
We have grown rapidly over the past five years and now serve 2,000 active members at 10 sites with a budget of $7 million. The Director of Clubhouse and High School Programs is a new senior manager position needed to support our recent and future growth, reporting to the Executive Director.
Organization OverviewBGCP’s vision is for all the youth of our community to become self-sufficient adults. Our mission is to help our members develop the academic and life skills they need to complete high school and their first year of post-secondary education or training.
We serve youth in grades K–12 at 10 locations: three clubhouses and seven school sites in East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, and Redwood City, where over half the youth drop out of high school. While most youth development organizations select the young people whom they serve, BGCP serves all youth.
- All youth can grow up to become self-sufficient adults and deserve our support; we welcome and serve all youth.
- Relationships with positive role models help youth thrive and are the foundation of our programs.
- Academic success greatly increases the options our youth will have as adults.
- All youth must at least graduate from high school to have a realistic chance at becoming self-sufficient adults.
- Exposure to a range of college and career opportunities beginning in elementary school increases youth’s likelihood of success.
- Youth need to believe that they can have a good future.
- Schools need to be part of the solution; we partner closely with them by aligning our programs and sharing staff and facilities.
- Engaging parents in their children’s education increases children’s chance of long-term success.
- Young people need to have fun in a safe, positive environment.
BGCP collaborates closely with schools to deliver these proven academic and social interventions to increase graduation rates:
- Extended learning day
- Summer instruction to avoid the “summer slide”
- Small group instruction
- Individual case management
- Enrichment classes that inspire curiosity and a love of learning
- An unrelenting culture of high expectations
- A sense of belonging
- Positive role models and peer group
- 1:1 mentorship
- Extracurricular activities & exposure
- Parental involvement
BGCP is affiliated with Boys & Girls Clubs of America, which has 4,000 clubs across the country. BGCP is its own 501c3 organization, with its own Board of Directors, and fully responsible for raising its entire budget. The partnership with BGCA provides BGCP with many tangible benefits, including identifying funding sources, networking, training, and marketing. BGCP has become a model organization for other clubs across the country.
The Director of Clubhouse and High School Programs will be part of the senior management team, reporting directly to the Executive Director. He/she will manage all of our clubhouse and high school sites, overseeing 75 staff, average daily attendance of 500 youth, and a budget of $3.4 million. Essential functions include:
- Manage five direct reports
- Three clubhouse Unit Directors (East Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Redwood City)
- One high school site director (Menlo-Atherton High). The number of high school sites may increase over time.
- IT director
- Support the hiring, training, and professional development of all clubhouse and high school program staff members
- Create vision for BGCP expansion on high school campuses in alignment with BGCP and school missions
- Set goals and measurements for each site and evaluate and report progress quarterly within BGCP and annually to external partners and funders
- Ensure program design is implemented consistently and effectively
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with high school and school district partners
- Maintain and build partnerships with other community-based organizations and post-secondary education and training providers
- Create culture of cooperation across clubhouses and high school sites
- Collaborate with Director of School-Site Programs to sustain and grow cooperation and alignment across clubhouses, high school sites, and K-8 school sites
- Allocate resources across clubhouses and high school sites; help set and ensure we stay within budget
- Ensure the maintenance of all clubhouse facilities and support school sites with their facility needs
- Manage transportation for all of BGCP, including our fleet of seven vans
- Oversee IT services for all of BGCP
- Support the Executive Director and Development staff in raising funds for clubhouse and high school programs
- With other senior managers, assess and refine BGCP’s policies and practices, actively influence the strategic planning process, and lead BGCP events and initiatives
- Personal commitment to helping at-risk youth graduate from high school ready for college and/or career
- Great organization, tracking, and follow-through skills
- Expertise in high school programming, dropout prevention, and/or youth development
- Availability to be on site until 8pm two to three nights a week plus one to two weekends a month
- Adept at multi-tasking
- B.A. or equivalent experience required; graduate degree in related field desired
- Self-manager, successful with minimal oversight
- Results-driven approach; bias towards action
- Supportive of and inclined toward ambitious goals
- A history of achieving results and willingness to do “whatever it takes” to reach goals
- Positive initiative and mature judgment
- Clear background check and history indicating fitness to work with children
Compensation & benefits
- Salary: Very competitive with other nonprofits; commensurate with experience
- Health benefits: BGCP pays 100% of premiums for medical, dental, and vision; 50% for dependents
- Retirement benefits: BGCP contributes 10% of salary to 401(k) plan after one year of employment
- Generous paid time off policy
- Making our community a great place for all youth to grow up: priceless
To ApplyVisit http://hire.jobvite.com/j/?cj=oDMzWfwE&s=ED to read job description and apply online.
BGCP is an equal opportunity employer.